Tickets and travel information in the palm of your hand. We like to use this formula when we talk about our mobile apps. Now it is truer than ever before. We are the first train travel app to integrate the Android Wear technology. The first in France. In Europe. WORLD-WIDE.
Many thanks to Cyril who developed this new part of our Android experience.
Launched last June at the Google I/O, Android Wear is the Android version of wearable technologies. To date, only two smartwatches exist (with this technology), the Samsung Gear Live and the LG G Watch. Of course, Google plans to extend Android Wear to Google Glass and other wearable devices.
Since the beginning of our project, we we have been focusing on the train travel experience rather than on ticket booking. These smartwatches are super convenient for accessing your travel information whilst finding your way through the station. Because let’s be honest, it’s not always easy to find your phone when you’re already carrying your bag, your laptop, your snack… And the heavy suitcase of the cute girl which you just met a few minutes ago in the newsstand queue.
Here’s what you can do with your smartwatch:
Receive a reminder 20 minutes before departure
A small notification will appear, giving you all the info you need to find your seat.
Present your E-ticket barcode
If you have purchased a print-at-home ticket, you can access the barcode directly on your watch (WARNING: the train inspector might be really amazed).
Open our Android app from your watch
You can launch the app on your phone to quickly access further travel information and other passengers’ tickets.
To try all these new features, just update your Capitaine Train Android app.
12 months of waiting …
5 OS versions and 12 devices tested …
91 995 lines of code (and counting) …
4 823 tweets of encouragement (28 of which were from the same person) …
But now, the wait is over! Our Android app can be downloaded for free on the Play Store.
A 100% Android experience
At the beginning of this project we chose to develop a native Android app to be able to offer you the latest features. It was completely out of the question to essentially ‘copy-and-paste’ our iOS app (which is still awesome though) or worse, simply encapsulate our website into the app.
Our app is compatible with all devices running on Android 4.0 (or higher) and it can be used in portrait or landscape mode. Just to let you know, the design is especially optimised for smartphones.
Take advantage of your favourite features:
- Find, buy or cancel your SNCF, Eurostar, Thalys, Lyria, iDTGV or iDBUS tickets (the other carriers are still in the process of being added).
- Create and modify passengers and add or edit all of their reduction and loyalty cards.
- Pre-book your tickets and keep them safely in your Cart. If possible, we can place them on hold for you so you can pay for them later via the app or on our website.
- Store and access past or upcoming trips directly through the app.
Of course we also wanted to go the extra mile and include some Android optimisations:
- AccountManager & SyncAdapter: we have added Capitaine Train to the account list, so you’ll see it next to your Dropbox, Google, Facebook or Twitter accounts. This allows you to background sync all of your train tickets and other important information from your website user account to the app. Plus, if you have purchased a ticket on our website then it is automatically stored on your smartphone even if the app isn’t open. This is done in a very secure manner of course.
- NotificationManager: our app will send you a notification 20 minutes before your train departs, which includes your seat and carriage number, departure and arrival time and more.
This is just the beginning…
Of course our work on this app has certainly not yet stopped. A heap of features are still in development and will be arriving very, very soon (such as the mobile-ticket and seating preferences). If you have any suggestions, questions or you simply want to have a chat about trains, then do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com We will be happy to hear from you.